About Forensic Expert Dr. David Salvage, M.D.
Forensic Expert David Salvage, M.D, F.A.P.M., is a medically trained, board-certified psychiatrist New York . After graduating from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine with distinguished honors in psychiatry, internal medicine, and the history of psychiatry, Dr. Salvage completed his residency at New York University-Belleview Hospital in New York City. He has been awarded a Clinical Teaching Fellowship at Montefiore Medical Center and has completed Psychoanalytic Training and is a member of the I.P.A.
Dr. Salvage has held positions at The New York University School of Medicine, The Albert Einstein College of Medicine and New York Medical College, teaching the following courses: An Evaluation of the Insanity Defense, Legal Aspects of Addictive Disorders, The Ability to Determine Psychiatric Capacity for Medical Decision Making, The Somatoform Spectrum of Disorders, The Interface of Psychiatry and the Law. At New York Medical College, Dr. Salvage was named Teacher of the Year and elected to Faculty Senate.
A peer-recognized forensic expert, Dr. Salvage has publishing credits that include psychiatric journals and anthologies such as The Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, The International Journal of Mental Health, and The Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association.
He also has presented his work at numerous national and international conferences, such as IPTAR Third Avenue Series, Employee Assistance Program at Goldman Sachs, SHOWTIME cable network, The New York University Counseling Center, The Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, among others, and served as a consultation to corporations, including Goldman Sachs, Phillip Morris, and Showtime, and to a host of private attorneys in both criminal and civil matters. Sought by professionals from a variety of disciplines for his expertise in psychiatric, legal, and interpersonal issues, Dr. Salvage is described as wise, articulate, and able to integrate an array of viewpoints.
- Board Certified, the American Academy of Psychiatry
- Board Certified, American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry
- Co-chair, Beyond the Basics Curriculum Committee of the Institute for Psychoanalytic Training and Research.
- Fellow, The Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine
- Certified in EMDR Level III Training· Member, The International Psychoanalytic Association
- Member, The American Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine
- Certified in Psychoanalysis, The Institute for Psychoanalytic Training and Research
- Certified in Buprenorphine Treatment and Administration
- Member of the New York University Bellevue Psychiatric Society
- Certified, SAMSHA, Added credentials to administer Buprenorphine Treatment
- Diplomate, The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Diplomate, The National Board of Medical Examiners
- Diplomate, The American Board of Addiction Psychiatry (1997-2007)
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
“Beyond the World of Perversion: A Psychoanalytic Consideration of Salo” The Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 2005 (33) (1), pp. 83-97
“Doctors and Sexuality: The Psychomorphology of Desire.” The International Journal of Mental Health, 1997 (34). pp. 244 – 253
“Developmental Metaphors: The Dialectic of Perception and Creation” The Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 1999 27(1), pp. 23-45
Dr. Salvage maintains an active clinical psychiatric practice which focuses on psychopharmacology, treatment of addictions including guided interventional strategies, and state of the art treatment of addictive disorders.
Areas of Forensic Expertise
- Psychiatric Evaluation and Risk Assessment
- Evaluation of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Impact of medical illness in psychiatric competency
- Decisional Capacities and Competencies
- Forensic psychiatric evaluations
- Fitness for Duties
- Litigation consultation to assist in case Preparation
- Complete consultation on trial preparation
- Comprehensive psychiatric reports
- Medical Director, Bridging Access to Care
- Consultant Psychiatrist, New York City Administration for Children’s Services
- Fellow, The American Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine
- Board Certified, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Associate Member, The American Bar Association
- Faculty Senator, The New York College of Medicine
- Former Psychiatric Director, Gouverneur Hospital’s Program of Homeless Outreach
- Former Psychiatric Director, Brooklyn Hospital PATH Center
- Former Co-Chair, Beyond the Basic Curriculum Committee, The institute of Psychoanalytic Training and Research
- Added Credentials in Addiction Psychiatry with the Ability to Prescribe Suboxone by the American Society of Addiction Medicine
Dr. Salvage has served on the faculties of NYU Medical Center, The Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and the New York Medical College.